Paramedic Practice Review Committee (PPRC)
The PPRC is convened by another RBHP through the OBHG Executive Chair to perform an independent, external advisory role, providing information and expert opinion to the affected Medical Director on issues related to Paramedic practice when a Medical Director is considering Decertification of a Paramedic following Deactivation. When the RBHP is engaged for the purposes of a PPRC process the RBHP is termed the "host RBHP". The parties to the PPRC process are the affected Medical Director and the Paramedic who is subject of the consideration of Decertification.
The members of the PPRC shall be:
- the host RBHP Manager/Director, who will act as Chair;
- host Medical Director; and
- two (2) Peer Paramedics.
Selection of Peer Paramedics: One (1) peer Paramedic shall be selected by the host RBHP and one (1) peer Paramedic by the affected Paramedic from a pre-identified group of eligible Paramedics. All members of this group shall:
- hold Certification from the host RBHP for the preceding twelve (12) months at the same level or higher as the Paramedic who is subject of the consideration of Decertification; and
- not have any operational relationship or personal relationship with the affected RBHP, Medical Director, or the Paramedic;
Confidentiality: All members of the PPRC shall keep confidential all information obtained during the PPRC process.
The PPRC shall provide written recommendations to the Medical Director who is considering
Decertification of a Paramedic. The recommendation of the PPRC shall be made by consensus. The recommendation rendered by the PPRC is not subject to appeal or other challenge, and is not binding on the affected Medical Director. The affected Medical Director is responsible for making the final decision with respect to the Decertification of the affected Paramedic.
- The affected Medical Director shall notify the OBHG Executive Chair that a PPRC is required regarding a consideration to proceed with the Decertification of a Paramedic.
- If the OBHG Executive Chair is employed by the affected RBHP, he/she shall send the request to the OBHG Executive Vice Chair. (All subsequent references to the “OBHG Executive Chair” shall be references to the OBHG Executive Vice Chair, as applicable.)
- The OBHG Executive Chair shall ensure that the PPRC adheres to all established times lines in the process by communicating directly with the PPRC Chair.
- The OBHG Executive Chair shall select an appropriate host RBHP.
- The OBHG Executive Chair shall provide notice to the affected Medical Director and Paramedic, in a format set out in Appendix A, that a PPRC has been convened to review the case.
- The affected Medical Director and Paramedic shall provide any written submissions to the OBHG Executive Chair within fifteen (15) Business Days of receiving notice that a PPRC has been convened.
- Submissions shall be sent via courier requiring signature of receipt, registered mail, fax (with confirmation) or email (with confirmation).
- The OBHG Executive Chair shall provide a copy of each party’s submission to the other party within five (5) Business Days.
- Both parties shall have the opportunity to respond to the original submissions within fifteen (15) Business Days of their receipt.
- The OBHG Executive Chair shall provide a copy of all submissions to the affected Paramedic, Medical Director and four (4) copies to the PPRC Chair.
- The PPRC Chair shall provide copies of the submissions to the other members of the PPRC.
- The PPRC shall not begin its review until receipt of all submissions.
- If clarification of an issue or information regarding applicable standards or legislation is required, the PPRC Chair shall request the clarification or information in writing from the relevant party. The response to the request shall be provided to the PPRC Chair and the other party in writing, within ten (10) Business Days of the request.
- The PPRC Chair shall provide a copy of the response to OBHG Executive Chair.
- The PPRC shall review the submissions and any responses within fifteen (15) Business Days from receipt of the full submission. If an extension is required the request will be made to the OBHG Executive Chair. The PPRC will render a written recommendation containing the supporting rationale, within ten (10) Business Days of the final review meeting and submit it to the OBHG Executive Chair.
- The OBHG Executive Chair shall send a copy of the final recommendation to both parties.